Let us introduce you to Platero, fon-ng version 22.214.171.124. This will be the firmware our users will get when they buy a Fonera 2.0.
Platero is a donkey. It has taken long time to come, but it finally arrived and his side-bags are full of new features. First of all, and before anyone starts asking about it: TORRENT DOWNLOAD IS HERE. Yes, yes! and this is not all… This is the nice list:
- Installation wizard. Some questions will be asked the first time you connect to the fonera 2.0 and type “fonera” on your browser.
- Youtube Uploader. Take a pen drive, put all your videos in a folder named “youtube” and plug it to the fonera. Your videos will be automatically uploaded to your YouTube account! This is a real 2.0 router.
- Torrent downloader. Get some torrent files, upload them to the fonera and this will download them for you. You can turn your computer off and go to bed. Platero will do the work :)
- MegaUpload and RapidShare downloads. Yes, we never announced this. How does it sound? Configure your RS or MU account, copy a big lot of MU or RS links from the Internet and paste them on the fonera interface. The fonera will download the. But wait… you don’t want to download stuff while you surf? no worries, tell Platero to download things at a certain time frame, while you sleep for instance!
- 3G provider list. Have a 3G USB dongle and don’t know your configuration settings? No worries, tell the fonera your country and your 3G provider… Platero knows the rest (except for your PIN, of course :P)
- Need help? check our videos. Every page in the fonera GUI now has a help button. It will take you to a video where our lovely colleague Martina will tell you how to use that page. Ain’t it sweet? More videos and improvements are coming!
- More to come… we’re already developing new features (improved interface), new applications (VPN, advanced networking, Picasa uploader, iStremer for iTunes…), fixing bugs, etc.
Please, all our niceand beloved Betatesters… Install Platero and let us know how you like it. It’s a lovely sweet donkey.
Poor Platero is not perfect though. We noticed some NDS games don’t work properly with it. Well… we will fix it, don’t worry gamers!
And finally, the big question… When will we sell Foneras 2.0 for everybody? Hmmm I won’t give you a date, just in case the Foneras are stolen (once, in the very begging, a boat with our linksyses was burned in the far ocean…), but let’s say it will be in the beginning of April :P
So, you all that have been watching this creature evolve and grow… go tell your friends to stay tuned to buy it!
I know I always thank a lot of people. I don’t want this to sound repetitive but this is a special release. The Fonera 2.0 has come to life after long discussions, arguments, fights, work, decisions, changes… Thanks to all that helped at FON:
- Martin and Alex for believing in the project and let us work our way
- Martina, Inouk, Luis, Javi, Pablo, Cyrus, Rico, Iban etc for their key work on certain fields.
- John Crispin… he is the real guy behind the fon-ng firmware. No need to explain anything else.
I want to finish the post with a nice sentence by John… “Thanks for letting me build the best firmware in the market” – Now, it’s on your hands, enjoy it!
P.S.: The firmwares :P