This is the beautiful story of a firmware that was slow, dumb, unfriendly and weak, like a Caterpillar… and one day, after months of metamorphosis from the very inside… It became a powerful, lightweight and flexible firmware, ready to discover and astonish the world with it’s beautiful wings!
This is the release of Mr. Caterpillar (version 188.8.131.52), the firmware that finally is mature enough to be considered as a final user product.
We have made some nice additions and some changes on the available plugins. Here you have the list:
- The plugins can be installed directly from the console! Yes, you don’t need to go anywhere else… every new plugin will be put in the repository and the fonera will show you all available plugins. It will also let you know if one of the installed plugins has a new version available. In the future… maybe plugin ranking/popularity? We’ll see…
- We merged the FONBackup and FTP tabs. They are basically the same since the backup is done using FTP. The PC application (available for Windows, Linux and Mac) is getting very nice features, we might release another beta soon… Muuuuuch faster! Btw, try it on the cable instead of WiFi you get up to 2MB/s transfer! That’s not bad!
- Printer and Webcam plugins have been removed!!! WHY? will some ask… well, they take space (not much, OK) and they are not usable for everybody. You need it? Why don’t you try the new plugin installation system? They are already there for you! Install the one you need. The way it works hasn’t changed at all :D
- A nice link in the left-bottom box, on the Version number will show you the version and animal of your Fonera. Handy to know what you have installed without being an expert ;)
- Catalàs, benvinguts!!! We’ve added new languages: find the interface in Catalan and Simplified Chinese. More to come! We don’t want to leave anyone apart.
So please, everybody install it and let us know if you like it.find below, the firmware for developers, the firmware for non-developers (no ssh so don’t use it if you need it – we will soon enable fon.com to ‘switch to developer mode’ with a single click), the failsafe firmware and the FONbackup application – it is a new release… much faster and reliable. Try it!
- Caterpillar DEVELOPERS FON file (web interface Tantor or later): download.
- Caterpillar DEVELOPERS image: download. MD5Sum: 8526415082a2fe0cebc8a73d73e26edd
- Caterpillar END USER FON file (web interface Tantor or later): download. (please don’t use this if you want ssh enabled)
- Caterpillar END USER image: download. MD5Sum: 8d9620d274ad8f35a073c6c5d868a5f8 (please don’t use this if you want ssh enabled)
- Fonera 2.0 failsafe (versionless): download. MD5Sum: d29e07bdcb6df04209cafafce8f3bc5f
- FONBackup 0.2 (only for use with Mr. Caterpillar): download.
Once again, thanks to all the collaborators (translators: chihchun, victor and albert, bmpeter, merlin, Michelangelo, blogic, inouk…) and specially to the firmware team, which we’re very proud of!!